Monday, August 31, 2009

Project One: Experience Enrichment



Mood Board



Context Poster

Rationale:

My knife sharpener has been planned specifically for an elderly war veteran. He delights in collecting knives and usually uses a sharpening stone to grind his knives. However, in his old age, it has proven to be too dangerous for his usage. My intent was to come up with a device that is safe, yet without compromising the idea of a sharpening stone. My knife sharpener still uses the same motion one would use as with a sharpening stone, however, it incorporates a handle grip as well as a knife guard, for added protection. It features two slots for first grinding the blade, followed by the tip. Blue and yellow were my colours of choice as they too are the preferred colours of my user.

Peer Comments:

http://arezziguida.blogspot.com/
http://jonathanbiet.blogspot.com/
http://hyo-jucho.blogspot.com/
http://julianides.blogspot.com/
http://glenaldyjantoides1031-2009.blogspot.com/




5 comments:

  1. I think this knife sharpener is very acetic pleasing, and it’s a certainly safe looking tools despite the face that its structured by many round edges. This cylinder structured design object also looks comfortable to use.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The idea is cool but I think that the actual gesture of sharpening knives would be a bit troublesome, because using two hands for the stone gives more accuracy in actually sharpening the knife rather than making it more blunt if you are pushing at the wrong angle. The same with the more recent knife sharpeners (the cylindrical tool) which you use one hand the move the knife and the other to move the sharpener, you sort of need two hands to get more accuracy in sharpening the blade.

    However im not quite sure if my criticism could be correct as I'm taking this from the standpoint that the handle allows the user to use the product flat on a surface as a pressure point. If it was a handtool which could be held upright like the more recent knife sharpeners then thats a different story.

    I like the colour combination because it sort of makes me think of more mature aged people. Basic colours and the bright yellow helps older people in distinguishing how and where to put the knife.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This product is simple, eye catchy and comfortable for people to use. The improvement of the design was neccesary, however, the variation in colors would've been better. the safety of the consumer was well approached.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like how you kept the notion of the tradition method of sharpening a knife in your design. I think people, especially your target market being the older generation, will relate to this product more because of that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the design overall is quite regal in its aesthetic with the combination of colours and the emblem badges at the ends, giving it a sort of distinguished nobility that is fitting for the honorable war veteran. The cylindrical form of the product also reminds me of a baton, again tying into connotations with the armed forces or war hero parades. The product seems fairly comfortable to use and I know it fits well in the hand as I held it myself during class, so it has an easy and traditionally conventional functionality suitable for the elderly user.
    On the whole, I think your product is a well-thought-out and effective customization for your target market. :)

    ReplyDelete